Partner, Alden Law Group, PLLC
Jim Eisenmann is an experienced advocate, leader and educator specializing in advising federal and private sector employees and employers on a variety of complex employment issues including investigations, discrimination and retaliation, and whistleblower retaliation claims. He represents private sector employees, senior executives, and small employers with respect to all manner of employment-related issues including employment contracts, non-compete agreements, and discrimination cases.
Jim joined Alden Law Group as a partner in April 2020, bringing with him extensive experience in the private and federal sectors. In private practice, Jim has represented employees and employers in the federal and private sectors in all manner of employment-related issues. From 1991 to 2005, Jim served as an associate, senior associate and principal in the firm Passman & Kaplan, P.C. Between 2005 and 2010, Jim was a founding member of Kraft Eisenmann Alden, PLLC, a labor, employment, labor and employee benefits law firm established in Washington, DC.
In 2010, Jim entered public service when he was appointed General Counsel of the U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB). He served in that position until January 2013, when he was appointed MSPB’s Executive Director. He served as Executive Director of the MSPB through September 2018. After leaving the MSPB, Jim was Of Counsel with Kalijarvi, Chuzi, Newman & Fitch.
Jim is also an Adjunct Professor with the American University’s Key Executive Leadership Program, where he teaches senior federal leaders in classes entitled “Leading in the Context of a Constitutional Government,” “Leading with Integrity,” and “Political Savvy: Employing Influence Tactics with Integrity.” Jim also teaches “The Legal Basis for Public Administration” in the Master of Public Administration Program in American University’s School of Public Affairs.
Jim received his law degree in 1991 from the Catholic University of America School of Law. He received his Bachelor of Arts in 1986 from West Virginia University. In July 2011, Jim completed the rigorous Leadership for a Democratic Society program at the Federal Executive Institute in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- American University, School of Public Affairs, Master of Public Administration Program, “Legal Basis for Public Administration.” (2017-present)
- American University, School of Public Affairs, Key Executive Leadership Programs, “Leading with Integrity” and “Leading in the Context of a Constitutional Government.” (2015-present)
- American University, School of Public Affairs, Key Executive Leadership Programs, TSA Leadership Institute, “Political Savvy” (2018-present)
- West Virginia University, Guest Lecturer, Master of Public Administration (2015-present)
Federal Employees Legal Survival Guide, 3rd Edition, Co-Author.
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Washington Metropolitan Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Member
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member